Friday, March 26, 2010

Thing 21 - Tweety, Tweets and Twitter

Sorry, but I just can't get into Tweets and Twitter. I like it just about as much as I like Tweety Bird - which is not at all. I always rooted for Sylvester the Cat, hoping that one day he would catch that annoying Serinus canaria.

Last year I took a class at the school on Twitter. At first I thought it was a pretty good idea. I looked at some peoples twitter accounts and they seemed pretty good. The exchange was all about useful information such as new tech gadgets out there or teaching techniques. But this is the exception. The rule seems to be people reporting on information that would make Narcissus think they were self-centered. Information that people think other people would care about. Who thinks they are so important that everyone cares what they are doing every five minutes. Who has time to read all of these things?

It seems that twitter is a popularity contest like facebook is. How many twitter followers someone gets is akin to how many facebook friends someone has.

To me this is where the tech thing has gone overboard. Just like when I go out and see a group of friends all sitting together but not saying one word to each other. They are too busy texting and tweeting. It's like they forgot how to have a normal conversation.

I know I sound like an old man at the start of the 1900's who is still pro-horse and buggy and anti-auto. And I probably will one day say tweeting is the greatest thing ever. But for now I'll be an old fogey about it.

2 comments:

  1. Twitter can be what you want it to be. You decided who you follow and if you follow people who tweet what they eat for breakfast...well that's going to read. Not good in my opinion either.

    On the other hand, I follow a very select group of ed-tech people (and some ASH friends) and I seem to find something great daily. And sometimes, I find out some interesting things about my ASH friends too because of Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Twitter mainly to share at conferences I attend and to glean from other what they see at the conference. I also follow ed-tech folks and a few ASH friends.

    ReplyDelete