Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thing 5 - A Linked Network

It seems like LinkedIn has been around forever. People usually come upon a LinkedIn account by accident. Maybe, hypothetically, they have googled someone from their past. They want to see a picture and all the pertinent information, but the only thing that pops up is some LinkedIn account. And there never seems to be any worthwhile information - "So and So is in the Buisiness field". La dee da. How is someone with multiple restraining orders supposed to get information from LinkedIn? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

But going over the training activity gave me a new insight to LinkedIn. I do see it as a valuable resource. It's not just something that lists one's profession. I see it now as a networking tool with many positive advantages. You can actually build a business network and make contacts with people in your field and people that share the same interests. I did a group search for science teachers and joined NSTA which has great articles, ideas and contacts. Interestingly the very first article listed was about students with computers lead to higher performance.

So now I know I will be on LinkedIn much more - searching for information that will help me with my career, education, teaching and interests and finding people from my past. Hypothetically.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for acknowledging your own cyber-stalking tendencies. I was afraid I was the only one. But seriously, that's the only time I've EVER been referred to or visited linkedin, and I don't think that bodes well for the the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...conceding to some colorful cyber behaviors is a bit alarming. I have not connected with the NSTA LinkedIn - thanks for alerting me to that.

    ReplyDelete