Saturday, January 30, 2010

Thing 6 - Ning is Cool, man...Crazy Cool

I dig Ning. Ning is a cool cat. Ning also sounds cool. I appreciate how it's a one syllable word - easy to pronounce.

I had never heard about Ning before doing "23 Things", but after looking through the site I can see a huge potential for it. It's the next step in the evolution of the social network. Five years ago MySpace was hip. Now only the australopithecine types use it. Facebook is the trendy thing now, but soon it will follow the steps of homo habilis - extinct. Whereas I won't get a facebook account, I will definitely sign up for a Ning account after more research. There's so much Ning has to offer. Ning connects people with similar interests and allows you to put up a site of your own which could be something that you are passionate about, a hobbie, something you want to sell, buy, etc. I can see a class creating it where they can put up projects or if there is a certain cause the class is working on it can use it to connect with other people in the world. Such as if a class is working on Neanderthals (a worthy subject), it can create a site, upload videos, blogs, info and have people from all over communicating with each other.

Ning is something I am going to really look into. I need to step away now and absorb it all. There are so many possibilities that my smaller brain is pounding hard against my sagittal crest.

1 comment:

  1. Your analogies of social networks and the "history of man" vocabulary is very interesting and clever. Your passion for science is shining through!

    ReplyDelete